The knee joint is called Janu Sandhi in Sanskrit; hence the name Janu vasthy is given to the procedure done on knee joints. In this the knee joint is bathed with warm medicated oil. Depending on the condition it can be practiced over both the knee joints or on one knee joint. Knee joints are considered as Sandhi Marma in Ayurveda (joint type of vital areas) which measure about three fingers (three anguli pramana).So the Janu vasthy is specialized knee therapy or massage which rejuvenate the Janu Marma.
Reservoir made of black gram dough is built upon the Knee Joint. The dough ring should be such that it covers the knee joint. The lukewarm medicated oil is slowly poured into the ring. When that cools down, it is squeezed out with cotton gauze and the procedure is repeated with warm oil. At the end of the procedure, the ring is removed and the affected area is gently massaged. The person is then made to take rest for a short while.
- Pacifies aggravated Vata Dosha in the knee region.
- Restores the lubricating fluid in the joint and maintain integrity of the structures involved in the joint.
- Removes stiffness and pain in Knee joint.
- Protects knee joints from age related changes.
- Increases blood circulation; thus strengthens and nourishes the knee joints.
- Improves the mobility of the knee joints (knee flexion and knee extension).
- Osteoarthritis of knee joints.
- Chronic pain of the knee joint.
Duration: 30 minutes