Sirolepanam is also known as Thalapothichil. It is a special procedure of application of medicated paste on the head. Thalapothichil is from Malayalam where thala refers to head and pothichil is covering. It is the traditional Ayurveda treatment of Kerala which is very effective in various psychosomatic disorders. Basically Thalapothichil is cooling treatment.
The person is made to sit in an easy position. A gentle oil massage is given to head with specific medicated oil. An herbal paste is freshly prepared by cooking it with the buttermilk after carefully assessing the condition of the person. The paste is applied over the scalp in a layer of thickness of about 0.5 to 1 centimeter, leaving a small central portion. Medicated oil is filled in this groove. The paste is then covered with leaves (plantain or lotus leaf) and cloth leaving the groove open. At the end of the procedure the paste is removed; a gentle head massage is given.
- Corrects imbalance of Pitta Dosha.
- Relaxes and calms down the mind; has a soothing effect on the body.
- Stabilizes the nervous system.
- Activates the Marma (vital areas) points.
- Relieves stress, tension, heaviness of the head.
- Improves quality of sleep.
- Improves luster and smoothness of hair.
- Improves memory.
- Relaxes, rejuvenates and nourishes the head and neck region.
- Insomnia and sleep disorders.
- Chronic headaches like migraines.
- Burning sensation of the body.
- Certain skin diseases of scalp like dermatitis of scalp, dandruff, hair loss.
- Premature graying of hair.
- Certain types of Insanity.
- Chronic sinusitis.
- Anxiety, depression.
- Some stages of mental retardation.
Duration: 30-45 minutes