Abhayangam is a Sanskrit word, which means application of oil all over the body. This is an integral part of the daily routine to all who wish good health and longevity of life. Abhyangam is the process by which the body of an individual is anointed with oil. Abhyangam massage is a gentle rhythmic but firm whole body massage from head to toe using warm medicated oils to take care of physical, mental, emotional well being of the person while balancing the Dosha.
Abhyangam is a full body massage done using medicated herbal oils. The number of strokes and pressure vary with the physical condition of the individual. According to classical texts, Abhyangam is advised daily to prevent ageing and degeneration process.
- Nourishes the entire body—decreases the effects of aging.
- Imparts muscle tone and vigor to the Dhatu (tissues) of the body.
- Imparts firmness to the limbs.
- Lubricates the joints.
- Increases circulation.
- Stimulates the internal organs of the body.
- Assists in elimination of impurities from the body.
- Moves the lymph, aiding in detoxification.
- Increases stamina.
- Calms the nerves.
- Benefits sleep.
- Enhances vision.
- Makes hair (scalp) grow luxuriantly, thick, soft and glossy.
- Softens and smoothens skin; wrinkles are reduced and disappear.
- Pacifies Vata and Pitta and stimulates Kapha.
Duration: 45-60 minutes.