This procedure is popularly called as kriyakalpa for eye diseases in Ayurveda. Kriyakalpa literally means treatment. Akshitarpana is an eye care treatment and rejuvenation program in Ayurveda. This is ideally prescribed after a course of a body detox program preferably, Virechana (therapeutic purgation) and a course of Nasyam (nasal instillation of medicated drops).
The person is made to lie down over back on the Droni (massage table). The dough ring prepared out of black gram is applied around the eyeball. Dosha specific medicated ghee is made lukewarm (around 27 degree Celsius) and poured into the cavity with the eyes closed, till it covers the eyelashes. The person is instructed to blink the eyes. At the end of the procedure the ghee and the ring are removed; eyes are wiped with cotton swab. The person is made to sniff the medicated smoke with closed eyes. Direct exposure to sunlight is to be avoided after treatment.
- Balances Vata and Pitta Dosha.
- Improves the vision.
- Removes dark circles under the eyes.
- Revitalizes and rejuvenates tired, dry, rough and injured eyes
- Strengthens the nerves and muscles of the eyes.
- Eye strain due to constant glaring of the computer or television screen; eye strain due to precision job like jewellery designing; long distance drive.
- Prevents formation of cataract.
- Burning in the eyes.
- Dry eye syndrome.
- Chronic Conjunctivitis.
- Pain in the eyes.
- Watering and cloudiness of the eyes.
- Night Blindness.
- Corneal ulcers.
- Refractive errors of the eyes.
- Early stages of retinitis pigmentosa.
- Early stages of retinopathy.
Duration: 30 minutes